Thursday, June 12, 2008

Book Publisher Wanted - Guaranteed Best Seller

My first action when I returned to Gamma Supplies was to write a trip report. My former company had don an excellent job at training new employees in good business practices, and if I had any criticism at all about that learning experience, it was that the business practices were emphasized at the expense of good research. However, one practice I had developed was to write everything down as it occurred so that there was a permanent record of what had transpired.

I wrote a report on the Tenneland trip and itemized the changes in the phenolic resin that Paul Jones had suggested. I did not have the report typed and did not circulate it because I was not sure who would be interested in it. I placed it in my desk drawer file in the original handwritten form.

Several days later Darth called me into his office, and we were talking about Tenneland trip and my research plans. While we were talking about the trip, Darth casually said, “I see you write everything down; that's a good practice.” I was stunned, the son-of-a-bitch had been going through my desk and was telling me that by implication! Up to that point, I had written nothing to Darth nor anyone else and in fact, I had been so busy I had not given the secretary anything to type. The only way he could have known that I was writing things down was by reading my report in my desk. Darth then quickly proceeded to avoid all questions I raised and the only near definitive answer I got was that Gamma Supplies and Tenneland had some form of formalized manufacturing agreement.

The report incident brought up the whole issue of privacy and security. I suddenly realized that I did not have any locks on my desk, and my office door could not be locked. Anyone who has worked in an industrial laboratory will tell you that security is next to Godliness. Gamma Supplies was involved in a major legal battle with Better Supplies, and the person responsible for the technical aspects of that battle did not have and could not get locks on his files and office door. When I approached Jordan about locks, he merely shrugged it off and said something to the effect that Gamma was a small company and didn't pay attention to such things. This was to become that standard mantra for any poor business practice and it was reinforced over and over again by Darth the the other managers in the business. Gamma Supplies was just a little old business with very poor business practices.

At that time, I overlooked the fact that all the accounting files were kept in locked file cabinets in a locked office, and the whole plant was surrounded by a barbed wire topped fence and there was a security guard on the premises during off hours. What I was being told and what was happening in the rest of the company was not consistent. Eventually, I tried to get the company handyman, Phil Knight to install a lock on my door, but that met stiff resistance and a lock was never installed. Since I was never able to get locks on my desk or office door, my files were open to anyone who walked into my office.

The lack of locks was not the only source of irritation concerning privacy. I always carried a briefcase to work and left it on my desk. I carried current work papers in the brief case which enabled me to access them quickly and to have them at home when I wanted to work. I never locked the briefcase because it could be unlocked in five seconds by a child with a paper clip. On several occasions I would open my briefcase to get some papers and find that documents had been moved as if someone had been in my briefcase. This did not surprise me given Darth's attitude toward privacy, but the fact that papers were left disturbed, as if it were done deliberately, puzzled me.

On one occasion I tucked a letter I wanted to mail in a small, snug compartment in the lid of my briefcase. That evening when I went to mail the letter, it was in a different position. Now I was convinced that someone had moved the letter. It was in a different position. I carefully repositioned the letter in its original place, closed the case and swung it around, threw it about and did about everything that the gorilla does to those suitcases in those luggage advertisements. In fact, I dented on corner of the briefcase, but when I opened it, the letter was exactly were I had positioned it! Someone had intentionally moved the letter so I would notice it. But WHY?!

Since the invasion of my briefcase always would occur , as best I could determine, at times when I was away from my office in a controlled situation I could never catch the culprit. But Darth, through subtle suggestions he dropped always implied that he was the perpetrator. Although I was not aware of it at the time, the purposeful “careless” rifling of my briefcase and desk plus other privacy invasion incidents were all directed to generate strong emotions and confusion. It also gave me an environment where I had no privacy.

Several years later I did some reading on mind control and mental torture. There areseveral key elements in destroying the human mind and turning the person into a robot. The top four elements are: 1) Severe prolonged stress 2) Lack of privacy 3) Isolation 4)The use of suggestions and implications. At the time I, as most Americans, had absolutely no knowledge about such dark, evil practices as mind control and mental torture and realistically there was no reason to have such knowledge when in a normal environment. But at this point in my stay at Gamma Supplies, I was already experiencing three of the four key elements.

No comments: