Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Computer problems caused delayed posting.

This was not the last time the management meetings and/or short excerpts on some
subject from a book was used to imply that I had been wrong in taking some action. In addition, future meetings served to establish policies and rules which prevented me from taking corrective actions in the laboratory.

Two other important topics were covered in the first meeting. First, Darth went over a list of characteristics that were desirable to have in order to be a “winner”. The list included thirteen characteristics such a dedication, honesty and maturity. The importance of this list was not in its content, but rather in how it would be used in the future. The other item discussed was the formation of an investment club. This would allow us as a group to learn and practice investing in the stock market. I was particularly enthused about the formation of the investment group and expressed my interest to several members of the group after the meeting.

Several days after the management meeting, Darth came into my office and I asked him about the investment club. He replied he had changed his mind and that the club would not be formed. I was very disappointed because I was interested in learning how to invest and I was looking forward to participating with the rest of the group. Darth gave no explanation as to why he had decided against forming the investment club.

My war with Ravi continued, and it was picking up again after a couple of weeks
respite following the meetings in Darth's office. One day Jeff Teller came into my office and started to talk about Ravi. I replied that he shouldn't worry because Ravi didn't have the final say in everything and that he should just do his job. That was the extent of my comments – don't worry and do your job.

The next day Ravi called me into his office and started blasting for my conversation with Jeff!

“Did you say I don't have complete authority in the laboratory?” he shouted.

“I told Jeff the you don't make all of the decisions concerning policies at Gamma Supplies.” I calmly replied.

He continued to aggressively attack me. “Then you did say I don't have authority. My word is final! What I say goes!”

I was shocked. “How do you know what I told Jeff?”

Ravi was momentarily stunned and not sure what to say. After a moment of silence he retorted, “Never mind how I know. You admitted to saying it.” Then he continued his attack on me which lasted for about ten minutes. The theme of the attack was constant. I was wrong and I had better watch my step.

I left his office angry and confused. What purpose did yelling at me serve? And I was getting tired of constantly be told I was wrong about everything I said or did. How did he know what I had told Jeff? Ravi's office was adjacent to mine, but he was not in his office during my conversation with Jeff, and I had checked the hallway and my office door had been ajar so I knew no one had been in the hall. How did he know? It was almost as if everyone was plotting against me, but that didn't make any sense unless I was part of some elaborate psychological experiment and that didn't seem likely. But I couldn't help but wonder how Ravi knew what I had said.

The next day, as had already become the norm, someone would give me an rational for some unusual occurrence. Jeff came in my office again and began talking to me.
Just before he left, he turned and said, “Oh by the way, when we were talking the other day I saw John listening outside your door. I forgot to tell you.”

And just like that another mystery was solved. It seemed so convenient.

The implication was that John had told Ravi about my conversation with Jeff. The only problem was I wonder how Jeff had managed to see John outside my door and I hadn't. And I had checked before, during and after our conversation. Things didn't seem right, but I had no better explanation.

Conditions continued to deteriorate and I was continually amazed at Ravi's and John's open hostility toward me. They were a team whose mission was to cause me as much rouble as possible. The emphasis on their closeness was demonstrated one day when I walked into the lab and there was John talking quietly to Ravi.

John looked at me and then exclaimed loudly, “After all, what are they going to do? Fire us?”

The implication was clear, as Ravi goes, so goes John. But I couldn't help thinking what a careless, crass remark that was for John to say in front of me.

No comments: