Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Swift response to my visits to UN Missions.

Curiously several days after I had visited the U.N. missions, I received an inquiry from a small company in Newark. I quickly responded by sending my resume and a standard cover letter. Within a short period of time, I received a follow-up letter stating that Dr. Stanley Skora, the owner and president of BSB Chemicals would like to interview me at his Newark, NJ office. The rapidity with which Dr. Skora had responded indicated a high degree of interest.

I was always suspicious of any unsolicited job interview, but this opportunity did not seem to fit into the government pattern. I thought the job was located in Newark, NJ which I abhored, but it was very close to New York City and the U.N. I was positive that my going to the U.N. was a problem for the government and that The Crazies would want me far removed from the U.N. and major east coast metropolitan areas. For a moment I had hope that the job opportunity was legitimate and that the government was not going to interfer.

The interview on December 20th was held in Dr. Skora's plant and office located in a warehouse on the waterfront. Upon my arrival, he quickly wisked me into his modest office and commenced the interview. He spent about an hour describing his company, his background and his ideas. All the while he talked he acted as if he had already offered me the position and I had accepted. His presumption of my working for him bothered me greatly. It was if he was saying, "You have no choice but to work for me."

Eventually he got around to asking me the standard interview questions. Then he asked me the question I dreaded; "Why did you leave RAM?" I answered the question as if he had no knowledge of my situation and explained that I didn't like the highyly structured large corporation atmosphere. He sat back in his chair as if he were annoyed and said, "Oh, I thought maybe you had emotional problems or something like that."

I quickly denied his accusation and replied in a firm voice that I just didn't like the beuracracy in RAM and that I had decided to change my career course and try something new. After all, high school teaching was a new career course.

Dr. Skora now became insistent. "Well, I can understand if you had emotional problems. That could happen to anyone. Are you sure you weren't mentally ill?"

When I persisted with my story, Dr. Skora became visibly annoyed and said, "Never mind."

The interesting thing is that he never said he had talked to anyone at RAM and that they said I was mentally ill. And my denying his allegations did not effect his decision to hire me. It was if he was saying that the job was mine and I was suppose to say I suffered from mental illness in order to meet some supposed obligation the government.

I was now fairly certain that my ubiquitous Crazies/Tormentors were involved. But I was still amazed that they would allow me to work and thus get money and to be so near the United Nations. Thus it was only mildly surprising when Dr. Skora informed me that the job was located in a small town in western KENTUCKY. The actual plant location was in a town so small that he referred to the plants location as being in nearby Paducah, KY. It became clear that if the government was going to let me work, it was going to be in some remote location away from the major east coast metropolitan area. And Paducah as I was to learn, is definitly remote.

No comments: