Sunday, March 8, 2009

Slave State threatens career - Bad Slave!

The Wednesday prior to my trip to Tenneland started out as a typical day
until about ten in the morning when I received a call from Dan Gane.

Dan: “I just received your letter today. What the hell were you trying to do by writing something like that?”

Just from the fact that Don swore to me told me he was in an agitated state and his and his tone of voice conveyed anger.

I replied. “Dan, I'm on my way out of here and I just wanted to get my views on
things down in writing. I told you back in January I had some different points of
view than Darth on “Ice Box” and they might come up in the future. I just wanted
you to know what they are.”

“Well the next time you want me to know something like that, just tell me; don't
put it in writing! Who else saw the memo?” Dan questioned angrily?

“Just Darth”, I answered. “I'll give him a copy today.”

Dan said very little else and closed the conversation, but from his tone of voice and manner, I knew my letter was potentially highly damaging to the Gamma Supplies' cause. I then went into Darth's office and left a copy of the letter on his desk.

Late that afternoon, I decided I wanted to talk to Arnold Cline. I went to his
office and found it empty but there prominently laying in the middle of his desk was
my letter. Now I knew for sure that Arnold Cline would be aware of what I had
written. Since Arnold was not in his office, I thought maybe I should wait a day or two before I spoke with him.

The Thursday prior to my visit to Tenneland, I was summoned along with
managers to Arnold Cline's office where Darth informed our management group
that there would be new improved medical coverage for managers. Darth then went
on to explain that there would be some other new programs in the future, and they
would be patterned after programs being carried out at DuPont. Remember that Gamma Supplies was suppose to be this little unsophisticated company and since Darth had
always professed to be anti big business, I jumped at the opportunity to intercede.

“Just because DuPont does it, does that mean it's good?” I asked.

Darth turned red, glared at me, stood up with his fists clinched. For a moment I thought we were going to come to blows. Then he regained his composure and said directly to me, “DuPont has a good reputation and their programs are sound.” He sat back down and there was a period of silence.

Then Bill James, who was sitting across from me blurted out, “Yeah, and maybe somebody is facing early retirement!”

No comments: