Monday, May 11, 2009

Never Trust A Lawyer!!!!!

I left the building alone and I constantly looked over both shoulders as I walked to my car parked in the parking garage. Before I started the engine I checked under the hood for explosives and looked around the rest of the car. I still feared for my life, but more than that, I feared the unexpected. I never knew what was going to happen next.

After the sworn statement I kept in constant contact with Cruz Little by phone. Usually I would call him in the evening after some incident had happened at work which had ininfuriated me. I had told him only a portion of what I knew in the sworn statement and each time I called him I told him a little more in an attempt to raise his interest. However it seemed no matter how damaging the information was toward Gamma Supplies, Cruz Little seemed uninterested and unimpressed. At first I attributed this to the fact that Judge Myron Gordon's ruling which had the trial in limbo, had negated my testimony. But I was convinced that the judge's ruling was ridiculous and would be overturned by the Appeals Court and my testimony would be important. For some reason which I did not understand at that time, Cruz Little did not share my enthusiasm.

At one point I told him how Jordan kept the “Rapid Set” price artificially low so the profit margin would not be too great. This created the illusion that Delta Oil could not afford the licensing agreement that Better Supplies was offering. This was a critical point in the argumentthat the patents were monopolistic. Bruce Tittle was unimpressed with the information.

Anita said very little about what was going on and remained distant from the problem. I thought this was best for her own safety and I felt it was my battle and I didn't want to involve any more people that necessary. Her major immediate concern was about my physical health and she was still constantly concerned about my well-being.

My physical condition had seemed to stabilize, but my overall health still was not good. As long as I kept taking the antibiotics, my condition did not worsen. At least my health was good enough to permit me to drive back to Scranton, Pennsylvania.

On March 10, 1978 I formally resigned from Costeal. I gave my deteriorating health and other “personal” problems as the reason for leaving. While I was discussing my reasons leaving my boss, who was sitting there with his immediate supervisor, interrupted me and in a laughing sarcastic tone said, “Well, I hope it's not serious”. My appearance and the difficulty I had in speaking was enough to tell him it was serious and since he probably already knew about my physical condition, I took his remark to be malicious in nature.

It is interesting to note, that while I struggled while I was in Louisville, people seemed to go out of their way to treat my wife well. The Realtor that was showing us housing, took Anita skiing, and helped her find a sales job at a local clothing store. Of course Anita spent her weekly check buying clothes for herself. And if we did anything where Costeal people were present, they were overly friendly and helpful to her. The contrast in treatment from how I was treated to how Costeal was being treated baffled me.

No comments: