Monday, March 26, 2012

Alternatives were few

As a result of all the stress I was kept under and my poor health, I knew my days at Estron Chemical were numbered. I continued to work on my manuscript, but I was encountering problems there too. I had left a copy of chapter one with a typist in Pennsylvania to have it retyped and semi-edited in order to have an edition of the chapter good enough to submit to publishing houses. I should have received the typed material a couple of weeks after I arrived in Paducah, but instead it took over two months of constant badgering before I finally received Chapter 1.

There were several major problems with getting my manuscript about fascist terrorism published. The first problem was to finding a publishing company that would publish the truth about this fascist state. Second, I was a nobody. Publishing companies publish books written by or about famous people. Having a recognizable name SELLS. And selling is the third and biggest problem. Think about the books you have read. Why did you buy them? Probably because the fascist media wrote an article about the book or the author, or a TV talk show had the author on to discuss the book, or maybe you saw it on some best sellers list. There are well known techniques for getting on best sellers lists and they usually involve points one and two. When you walk into a book store or now days go online what books catch your attention. In the store it is the prominently displayed item that catches your eye. In other words, the fascist corporations control what you are exposed to and what you eventually read. What you read is in effect "fascist state controlled.

Then there was also the problem of getting a copyright. In the 80's, it was more difficult to get a copyright on a manuscript than it is today. And, of course, the issuing of a copyright is government controlled. I was however able to overcome this obstacle by obtaining a Canadian copyright. Most countries have reciprocal agreements to recognize copyrights from other nations which meant having a Canadian copyright gave me copyright protection in the US.

Despite all of these obstacles, I was still able to get two offers to publish my manuscript.

No comments: