Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My journey to gain my sanity begins.

After learning that there was no protection from the lawless police, and knowing that The Crazies were going to continue to terrorize and harass me until they had gotten rid of me one way or another, I decided the best option for me was to follow the psychiatrist's advice and leave the country.  Every time since my problems began, whenever I left the country for any period of time, my life and the events in it became normal.  As a result, I started making plans to permanently leave the country.

First, I needed a country where I would be safe.  I couldn't go to Mexico because eventually The Crazies would track me down and in a country as corrupt as Mexico, I would never be safe there for a long period of time.   Besides, Spiritual Adviser Bishop Jordan did tell me that The Crazies would follow me and track me down.  That meant I had to go to a adversarial country like Russia or Cuba.  I had already ruled out Russia because of the cold, harsh weather, and  their difficult language.  That left me with Cuba which had a tropical climate and Spanish as their predominate language.  While my Spanish was not great, I could get by speaking and reading that language.  Thus I decided to go to Cuba.

I made a trip to a small, local travel agency (this was before the age of the internet).  When the woman at the desk asked me to where I wanted to travel, I replied that I wanted to go to Havana, Cuba.  The woman smiled at me and then politely told me that I needed a Visa to travel there and that travel there was restricted.  I said "OK, I'll get a Visa and be back."  She laughed as I left as though she thought I was some sort of a nut.

The next day, I packed a few items, hopped in my car and started driving to Washington, D.C. which was about 1,200 miles away.  I drove about two thirds of the way there the first day before I stopped to rest for that night.  The next morning I started out early and drove the rest of the way to Washington, D.C.  Once I reached the "downtown" area, I made my way to 16th Ave. NW(as best I can remember, that is the correct street) where many of the foreign consulates are located.  I was familiar with that area from my previous visits to the Russian Consulate when I was talking with them and they had offered me political asylum.  I found the Cuban Consulate easily, parked my car and walked in.  The lobby was a small, unimpressive area with an enclosed desk area where a man was seated.  I walked over to the bank teller like structure and said, "I'd like a Visa to go to Cuba."

The man looked at me intently and then asked me a series of questions.

"Were you born in Cuba?"  "No", I replied.
"Do you have family or relatives in Cuba?"  "No"
"Do you do have or do business in Cuba?"  "No"
"Do you know anyone in Cuba?"  "No"

The man sat there expressionless and then said,  "What is your name?".   I gave him my name.  He looked up at me and told me to have a seat in the lobby waiting area.  As I sat down, I saw the man get up and rush hurriedly through a door off to the side.

I sat there for about 5 minutes when the man suddenly reappeared.   He sat down and then called out my name.  I didn't know what to expect and was totally surprised when the man handed a sheet of paper and said, "Here is your Visa."  I graciously thanked him and headed for the door.

No comments: