Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Isolation - A key element of mental torture!

That weekend at our garage sale, Barry showed up. He was his usual happy, friendly self and demanded a tour of our new house. I was thrilled to have a normal relationship with an old friend and we must have talked for over an hour. Finally, on his insistance, I agreed to call him the following evening so we could make some concrete plans for getting together in the near future.

The next evening I went to the neighbor's house to use their phone to call Barry. I still didn't have a phone because of the incessant harassing phone calls. Immediately when we started to talk, I could tell something was wrong. Barry was no longer enthusiastic and he seemed somewhat distant instead of his warm friendly self. We started talking about getting together, but every weekend I mentioned, Barry had some excuse. After trying about four different dates, I mentioned that maybe we should just wait for the holidays. Barry quickly agreed with that suggestion and said he would give me a call around Christmas. I hung up feeling depressed and knowing that "they" had somehow intervened and were determined to keep me isolated. Barry's sudden reversal in his interest to get together just did not seem right. But of course, I couldn't prove anything.

Shortly after we moved into our house and received our furniture, my relationship with Anita began to change. Somewhat to my surprise, Anita was now beginning to question things I said. In particular I became angry when she questioned my belief that I was being isolated. We were taking a walk around the block one evening and I was discussing my predicament as usual.

"I can accept never having the opportunity to be a manager, and I can learn to accept that I was used as a witness, but I can't live with having all of my friends taken away. I don't have a single friend at RAM(as was the case at Gamma Supplies).

Anita interrupted me. "You never did have any friends before. No one is trying to isolate you."

Anger raged in me. "What do you mean I never had any friends! When we lived in Philadelphia(prior to Gamma Supplies), I played tennis, we had people over for dinner and we went to company functions with other people. Of course I had friends! But now no matter what I do, I'm rejected.

Anita did not argue with me anymore.

No comments: